Day Course - £105 per day
This one-day beginners course located in the heart of the UK’s apple growing region will allow you to discover the ancient British art of making your own Cider (Cyder) and Perry.
Spend the day with Kent’s award-winning artisan cider producer Simon Reed from ‘Rough Old Wife Cider’ learning how to make real cider and perry.
This one-day course is suitable for beginners who are interested in the fascinating background, heritage and making of real cider and perry at home and for those wanting to develop the use of apples and pears on their farm or small holding.
The course will cover topics such as:
- History, heritage and traditions of cider and perry making.
- An overview of the various varieties of apples and pears used for making cider and perry – regional differences.
- Choice, sourcing and use of equipment – domestic and larger scale.
- Practical work milling and pressing of apples and pears.
- Fermentation and maturation.
- Bottling and storage options.
- Optional tour of the National Fruit Collection orchards and cider apple collection.
All ingredients, equipment and basic recipe are provided. In addition participants will be given a detailed handout and summary to take away with them for reference.
Participants are encouraged to bring along their own apples and pears for identification or, depending on the variety, press them themselves in the practical sessions.
The course includes refreshments and an informal light lunch.
For questions and to book email: firstname.lastname@example.org